Last year when I put in the garden, I clipped back some of the plants growing at the back wall of our yard. I wasn’t sure what they were. Some of them turned out to be roses. Last year we got a few, but this year we got a ton. I am pleasantly surprised, especially considering I have hardly touched them at all this year.
We went to the butterfly pavilion about a year ago with Spencer. He seemed to like it, but he is obviously much different now. Today we went back with the meetup group I joined recently. Spencer seemed very interested in climbing all the stairs, splashing the water in the starfish petting pools, trying to open every door possible. He seemed to enjoy the butterflies a bit too. It’s always fun to try some new experiences with him.
This past weekend we planted the garden for this year.
Before we actually got to planting, we decided to finally take the tree down in the backyard which is ugly and very close to the retaining wall (and blocks sunlight from our garden). That turned out to be a 3-day project, but it was worth it. Most of the time was spent cutting up the branches and bundling them so our trash service will take them way. They will take 4 bundles per week, so it will take several weeks to get rid of all of them, but that’s fine.
Once we had the tree down, we could start planting the garden. I had tilled the garden on Thursday, so all we had to do was put down the soaker hose, the black plastic and then put the plants in. I saved the black plastic I used last year in the garden, so we used the same holes. I learned this method from Angie Fender in Indiana, and it works quite well. I don’t think she used a soaker hose though. Not too much watering is required in Indiana, but in Colorado we definitely need to water the garden. Using a soaker hose under the black plastic minimizes evaporation. Planting the garden was a little trickier this year than last, since Spencer wanted to help, which mostly involved him poking the trowel in the dirt, but also involved him pulling out a few plants. We branched out this year a bit, and did a variety of tomatoes and hot peppers, plus some cucumbers, butternut squash, and peter pan squash. We bought the plants on Friday, and got the tomatoes and peppers in on Saturday, but didn’t get the other stuff in on Sunday. They don’t seem to be doing as well. It could be the extra day, or the extra “help” we got from Spencer putting those in. Or it could be that most of those did not fit on the black plastic. We’ll see how things turn out.
I am catching up on editing some video from the last couple months, since I have been busy remodeling the bathroom (will post more about that soon too). Here is a short video of Spencer playing with a ladle.
Spencer has been making funny noises for the last couple months. I have been capturing them on video occasionally. Here is a highlights reel. He has two different sounds in particular he likes to make. The first is kind of an l-like sound, in which he sticks his tongue out. The second is a more of a car noise, which is pretty much a voiced bilabial trill. I’m not exactly sure where he learned these sounds – definitely not from me. He could be trying to imitate some other sounds I make, or perhaps the sounds of other objects, like cars.
Spencer likes his toy mower, but he likes the real mower better. Good thing that I have a reel mower, which is not too loud or dangerous for him to play with. Sometimes he helps me push it on the grass, but that is pretty difficult. So a few days ago he decided to push it on the sidewalk instead. As usual, this video doesn’t capture the best parts, but you get the idea. He actually pushed it back and forth on the sidewalk several times. I wasn’t able to finish mowing the yard, but that’s ok. This is also the first video I have posted from my new phone. It is not great, but not too bad.